Helping our patients be more independent at home and at work
Assistive technology helps individuals with disabilities achieve greater independence at home and at work. The rehab specialists at St. Charles help assess each individual’s situation, and then provide recommendations for equipment and technology and instruction on how to use it.
We provide specialized assistive technology rehabilitation services for both pediatric and geriatric patients. A physician referral is required for initial evaluation and treatment.
We offer clinics on:
- Adaptive Driving
- Adaptive Technology
- Augmentation and Alternative Communication
- Low Vision Rehabilitation
- Vestibular Rehabilitation Training (VRT)
- Wheelchair Seating and Positioning
We provide objective feedback about your ability to drive safely to you and your physician. Our services include: Assessing of visual skills, functional mobility, reaction time and driving knowledge.
On-the-road driving assessment to evaluate skills in actual traffic situations.
Training and recommendations for vehicle adaptations.
We can provide recommendations for assistive devices to help at home and work, as well as instruction on how to use them. Our services include:
- Evaluating individual capabilities and lifestyle needs.
- Providing low-cost loans for trial equipment and solutions.
- Recommending equipment and technological solutions.
Augmentative and Alternative Communication
We help people who have communication difficulties resulting from stroke, brain injury, neurological disease or developmental disabilities. Our services include:
- Demonstrating and evaluating the use of communication equipment
- Providing reports, recommendations and funding requests as necessary
- Setting-up and training for communication systems
Low Vision Rehabilitation
We provide training and support for people with visual impairments. Some residual vision is required to participate. Our services include:
- Evaluating effective use of remaining vision
- Recommending adaptations to enhance daily functioning
- Training to use optical and non-optical devices
Vestibular Rehabilitation (VRT)
We can help retrain the brain to recognize and process signals from the inner ear and balance system for people with a variety of vestibular problems.
Wheelchair Seating and Positioning
We provide guidance about matching equipment to the level of an individual’s function and needs. Our services include:
- Assessing flexibility and range of motion
- Evaluating posture
- Mapping pressure points
- Measuring for customized seating