Thai Red Curry Kabocha Squash Soup
- 1 medium Kabocha squash, peeled, seeded and rough chopped
- 1/2 medium white onion diced
- 1 stalk of lemongrass smashed with a hammer
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 1/2 inch thumb of ginger chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp. red curry paste depending on how hot you like it
- 1 14oz can coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves
- Salt to taste
Simmer first six ingredients for 20 minutes. Add coconut milk and fish sauce, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove lemongrass, let cool, and puree. Add lime leaves, lime juice and salt, and reheat to steep the lime leaves.
Kabocha squash is available at most grocery stores, but you can substitute butternut. Fish sauce and lime leaves will be at a specialty store.