Thai Cucumber Salad
Serve this salad as a course or as an accompaniment to grilled seafood or chicken. It's tasty with classic barbecue, too.
- 3 large cucumbers — peel and large dice 3/4" x 3/4"
- 1 carrot fine julienne or shredded
- 2 green onions — slice thin on bias
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro — rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint — rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil — rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and toss lightly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of chopped roasted peanuts on top and serve on a platter or in a bowl.
Garnish with sprigs of mint, basil and cilantro.
FYI: This recipe is high in flavor but not in calories, so it makes a great side dish or snack. It's healthy for your gut (and your waistline) because of the 5 grams of fiber. The addition of the peanuts at the end adds some calories and unsaturated fat. Unsalted peanuts are a good choice for low sodium diets.
The recipe is low in sodium (20 mg) and carbohydrate (15 g per serving) for those folks who need to keep an eye on those nutrients.
One serving provides about 8 grams of protein. It is a good source of fiber, Vitamin A and C, and provides some folate, magnesium, and potassium.
*All of the above is if the entire recipe is split into 4 servings.