Superhero Shepherd's Pie
This hearty yet healthy version of shepherd's pie will fill you up while keeping you in fighting shape with 13 grams of protein and just 200 calories per 1-cup serving. Recipe makes 10 servings.
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3⁄4 cup low-salt beef broth
- Put diced potatoes in saucepan; add enough water to barely cover. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until soft (about 15 minutes).
- Drain potatoes and mash. Add milk and cheese; set mixture aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown meat in a large skillet. Stir in flour, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add vegetables and broth. Cook 5 minutes until bubbly.
- Spoon vegetable mixture into 8-inch square baking dish. Spread potato mixture over vegetable/meat mixture.
- Bake 25 minutes, until hot and bubbly.