Recipe of the Month: Spanish Gazpacho
There may be nothing more refreshing than chilled gazpacho on a hot summer day. Tangy, bright and bold in flavor, it’s satisfying but light. As an added bonus, it’s loaded with veggies, great for you and low in calories.
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes (preferably homegrown or farmers market)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cucumber (about 6–7 inches long)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 piece French bread (3–4 inches long) soaked in water
- Fresh chopped marjoram
- 3 shrimp per serving, grilled with olive oil, sea salt and pepper
Wash all produce. Peel cucumber, seed pepper. Rough chop all produce. Squeeze all water from bread. Place all ingredients (except shrimp and marjoram) in a blender, puree until smooth. It should have a creamy consistency. Refrigerate overnight.
To serve: Ladle into a shallow bowl, set three shrimp on top, sprinkle with marjoram and add a drizzle of olive oil.