This colorful summer salad is low in both fat and calories — each two-third cup serving has 100 calories and 3 grams of fat— as well as a good source of vitamins A and C. Serve as a side dish with a nice piece of salmon or chicken, or throw in some tofu or tempeh and enjoy it as a stand-alone meal.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 large celery stalks, peeled and diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve under running water for 1 minute.
- Bring the water or broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Slowly add the quinoa and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Refrigerate until cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare all the vegetables and place them in a salad bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Add quinoa to the vegetables. Add the dressing and toss well.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.