Indian Lentils and Pasta
This flavorful dish, which takes about 10 minutes to prepare, is just 110 calories (and no fat) per one-cup serving (this recipe makes about seven servings.) It's also high in Vitamin C. Top with light sour cream or plain non-fat yogurt for a refreshing twist. To make it a meal, try serving with chicken and sliced fruit.
- 1⁄2 cup orzo or tiny pasta
- 1⁄2 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 small, dry red peppers, whole
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place everything but cilantro into a large skillet.
- Bring to boil on medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet).
- Cover and reduce heat to low (250 degrees in an electric skillet).
- Simmer 35 minutes until pasta and lentils are tender.
- Remove chili peppers, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.