Beef Barley Soup
There's nothing quite like a hot, soothing bowl of soup on a cold winter day. It's even more satisfying when you know that each 1-cup serving of this hearty beef barley soup is only 130 calories and 3.5 grams of fat. The following recipe makes 14 servings, so you'll have plenty to keep you warm all week.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (10% fat or less)
- 1 medium carrot, diced, about 1 cup
- 1 medium onion, diced, about 1 cup
- 1 stalk celery, diced, about 1 cup
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup barley
- 8 cups water
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In large pot, cook ground beef over medium heat.
- Add carrots, onion, celery and garlic; stir often and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add 8 cups of water, bouillon, tomatoes with juice and barley. Bring to a boil.
- Add pepper.
- Cover and reduce heat to a low boil. Cook for 30-40 minutes.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.